E-Safety Guidance for Parents/Carers
Always be careful when you are using the internet. It can help you to keep in touch with your friends and help your education – but it can also cause harm – to you and to others.
Remember help is always available at school if you are having any problems online.
Don’t be afraid to talk to your teacher or another adult at school.
If you or anyone you know is worried about Child Exploitation, Online Protection or anything related to Internet safety please click the link below which will take you to the CEOP reporting website:
Fortnite - what do you need to know?
At King's Oak, we are concerned about how the game Fortnite is impacting on our pupils but also how you, as parents are able to manage this.
Why not take a look through our handy guides (supported by LGFL) to help you.
- Our six top tips for parents:
- Don't ban Fortnite (or any other game) because a newspaper headline said it's evil; at the same time, don't allow it because a friend said it's fine. Have a look and decide yourself (get your child to show you, or play together if you're feeling brave). If you're happy, fine; if not, it doesn't matter whether "everyone else is playing it".
- Fortnite's PEGI age rating is 12 ( = appropriate age, NOT skill level).
- Games don't go on for hours, but average 20-30 minutes. So if your child says they need hours and hours, they're wrong...
- One of the best ways to keep children safe on games is to know what they are doing, so if you allow it, get them to play near you with the sound on (no headphones so you can hear the other players' comments)
- When you start, there's a 'Privacy' button - choose between Public (anyone in the world) / Friends / Private (invite only). It's easy to change. Make sure you have made the decision.
The game is free, but there are lots of in-app purchases. Is your credit card attached to the account/device? Worth checking if your child could buy the £79 10,00 V-Bucks + 3,500 Bonus pack at a click. Click on a cheap one to see if there is a payment method attached.